EKU supports a number of programs that make getting to and around campus more convenient. You can even reduce your carbon footprint at the same time! Carpool to EKU using the EKU Rides ridesharing network, hop on the Big E Transit, or ride a LimeBike around campus! Learn more about EKU's transportation sustainability programs below.
What’s Awesome About Carpooling?
1. Half price gas! The more people, the lower the price goes!
2. Help your car! Those miles add up! Gas is not your only car expense. Reduce wear and tear on your car by trading off doing the driving, or defray costs of car maintenance by charging passengers for rides.
3. Get a good parking space! Premium parking spaces are designated for carpoolers in the (Alumni Coliseum lot for students), (Martin and Jones lots for staff and faculty).
4. Cleaner air, smaller footprint! Less of those nasty toxins to inhale, and less CO2 in the atmosphere! Cars make a significant contribution to unhealthy air pollution, and to our carbon footprint. Cars also contribute to water pollution. Run-off from parking lots is a major source of pollution in the US. Reducing cars reduces the need for more parking lots.
5. Build community! Meet your neighbors; meet new people on campus! You might be surprised at how many of us are driving from the same place! Find a carpool partner from your neighborhood at www.rides.eku.edu
6. Reduce cars on campus! For every person who carpools, there is one less car backing up traffic and one less car competing for those parking spots. And the fewer the cars, the more friendly to walkers and cyclists.
7. Reduce Stress! Save money, park easily, and take a nap while your partner drives!
8. Reduce dependence on foreign oil and support your local economy! Buying gas sends money to overseas oil companies. Reduce your spending on gas and splurge a bit at local stores.
9. Earn prizes! Add your commute info to EKU Rides to be entered to win gift cards!
10. Ridesharing is caring! Help your colleagues (classmates) who need a lift!