Thanks to a grant from Bluegrass Pride, EKU has purchased 5 hydration stations and had them installed on campus. They are located in: Combs, Powell, SSB, Wallace, and the Library.
Other colleges and universities that have installed these units:
Sponsor A Hydration Station!
If your group would like to sponsor a unit you can find more information on the Elkay homepage about the units which cost around $1,500 each.
Why Sponsor a Station?
There are many reasons to sponsor a hydration station on campus:
- Saves money
- Reduces waste
- Helps people stay healthy
Did you know?
- PET plastic bottles contains antimony which, in small doses, can cause dizziness and depression; in larger doses it can cause nausea, vomiting and death.
- Every second, 1500 plastic water bottles are consumed in the US. Out of the 50 billion bottles of water being bought each year, 80% end up in a landfill.
- 60 million single-use drink containers were purchased in 2006, and 3 our of 4 were thrown out directly after use.
- 10% of the plastic produced every year worldwide winds up in the ocean. 70% of which finds its way to the ocean floor, where it will likely never degrade.
- The average American consumes 50 gallons of soda and sweetened beverages each year. With an average of 17 tsp. in a 20 oz. serving, soda consumption accounts for more than 300 calories in the average American's daily diet.
For more information contact:
Dr. Alice Jones
Published on August 02, 2012